Hilton Head High's cross country teams have made a tradition of returning from northeast Columbia with trophies and custom medals in tow. The Seahawks won their third consecutive Class 3-A boys state title Saturday morning at the Sandhills Research Center, edging Wade Hampton of Greenville by six points, while the girls team earned its second consecutive runner-up trophy after winning the state championship in 2008 and 2009.
"I'm extremely pleased," Seahawks coach Bill Wrightson said. "The boys team lost four of our seven varsity runners from last year, and the girls lost three of last year's seven. To come back and do this is pretty special."
Junior Jack Manesiotis was the Class 3-A individual state champion, leading the race from start to finish. "From about 800 meters on I never looked back," said Manesiotis, who posted a time of 15 minutes, 36 seconds -- 43 seconds ahead of his closest competitor. "I could hear the crowd yelling for the people behind me, but I just didn't look back and gave it everything I had."
Alex Couch and Colton Hennessey finished sixth and ninth for the Seahawks and were named all-state performers.
No comments:
Post a Comment